Marc Marquez has been crowned the 2013 MotoGP World champion in record-shattering rookie season to became the youngest ever rider to win the title at the age of 20.
The Spanish racing sensation won the title after taking a third place in place in a daunting season finale at the Ricardo Tormo circuit at Valencia, after Jorge Lorenzo took the race victory.
Marquez took the title with 334 championship points – the most ever accumulated by a rookie - four ahead of Lorenzo and 34 in front of Dani Pedrosa, and is the first rookie to clinch the premier class championship since Kenny Roberts in 1978.
Despite sitting in pole position (Marquez’ 9th) it was Lorenzo that got the holeshot as the Honda rider fell to third behind team mate Pedrosa, but instead of clearing out as usual, the Yamaha rider changed his tactics –slowing down the pace of the race by almost a second - hoping that someone behind him would be able to attack and hold off Marquez.
Instead Lorenzo found himself battling with an aggressive and determined Pedrosa.
Over the first seven laps of the 30 lap race the two riders would angrily swap the lead , often in close contact, but the spectacular battle - to the dismay of the more than 100,000 fans that showed up - ended when Pedrosa took the lead into turn 1 and Lorenzo retaliated with hard overtake at turn 2.
The Yamaha rider barged in and swiped the side of the Honda, sending Pedrosa to the edge of the track which would result in him falling to fifth behind Alvaro Bautista and Valentino Rossi, as Marquez took advantage of the incident, to grab the race lead.
The clash between the two would later lead to an investigation by the Race Direction.
Lorenzo recovered and re-passed him and the two tussled briefly before Marquez decided to back off and play it safe, thinking about the title.
Since no one was able to interfere with Marquez, Lorenzo decided to changed his tactics and broke away from the rest of field with a record breaking pace to take his 8th victory of the season- two more than Marquez.
Pedrosa recovered from fifth to take second after Marquez let him through, wisely deciding against another of their in-house battles.
Valentino Rossi – after his shock announcement that he would be dropping his legendary crew chief Jeremy Burgess after 14 years (Silvano Galbusera will take his place) took another fourth place, while Alvaro Bautista finished in fifth.
Stefan Bradl and Bradley Smith were sixth and seventh respectively, after Cal Crutchlow in his final race for Yamaha Tech3 squad crashed out early on.
Nicky Hayden in his last race for Ducati finished in 8th ahead of Andrea Dovizioso and Pramac’s Michele Pirro who took the place of the now retired Ben Spies.
- 01- Jorge Lorenzo – Yamaha Factory Racing – Yamaha YZR M1 – 30 laps in 46’10.302
- 02- Dani Pedrosa – Repsol Honda Team – Honda RC213V – + 3.934
- 03- Marc Marquez – Repsol Honda Team – Honda RC213V – + 7.357
- 04- Valentino Rossi – Yamaha Factory Racing – Yamaha YZR M1 – + 10.579
- 05- Alvaro Bautista – GO&FUN Honda Gresini – Honda RC213V – + 14.965
- 06- Stefan Bradl – LCR Honda MotoGP – Honda RC213V – + 24.399
- 07- Bradley Smith – Monster Yamaha Tech 3 – Yamaha YZR M1 – + 29.043
- 08- Nicky Hayden – Ducati Team – Ducati Desmosedici GP13 – + 39.893
- 09- Andrea Dovizioso – Ducati Team – Ducati Desmosedici GP13 – + 53.196
- 10- Michele Pirro – Ducati Test Team – Ducati Desmosedici GP13 – + 1’02.983
- 11- Aleix Espargaro – Power Electronics Aspar – ART GP13 – + 1’04.197
- 12- Hector Barbera – Avintia Blusens – BQR FTR – + 1’06.826
- 13- Claudio Corti – NGM Mobile Forward Racing – FTR Kawasaki – + 1’11.481
- 14- Danilo Petrucci – CAME Iodaracing Project – Ioda Suter BMW – + 1’13.643
- 15- Colin Edwards – NGM Mobile Forward Racing – FTR Kawasaki – + 1’24.249
- 16- Hiroshi Aoyama – Avintia Blusens – BQR FTR – + 1’33.010
- 17- Michael Laverty – Paul Bird Motorsport – ART GP13 (
- 18- Luca Scassa – Cardion AB Motoracing – ART GP13 – 1 lap
- 19- Bryan Staring – GO&FUN Honda Gresini – FTR Honda MGP13 – 1 lap
- 20- Martin Bauer – Remus Racing Team – S&B Suter BMW – 1 lap