Paperwork for selling a car in the UK explained

If you’re thinking of selling your car privately, you’re probably thinking about the additional money you’ll get by selling to an individual rather than a car dealer. You’ll be aware that some of your personal time will be taken up placing adverts, showing prospective buyers around the car and taking them for test drives, but have you considered the paperwork needed for selling a car?
    wikimedia commons


The first piece of paperwork you’ll need to complete is a receipt. You’ll have to make sure you acknowledge the date of sale, the price you got for your old car, the make and model and include it’s registration number. You’ll also need to put your name and address and along with the buyers details. Always make two copies so you can have one and the buyer can take one home, and make sure both parties sign both receipts.


Your next job is to tear off the bottom of the V5C registration document, that’s sometimes called the logbook, and post that out to the DVLA in Swansea. Give the top part of the form to the car’s new owner. By informing DVLA that the ownership’s changed, you’ll be covering yourself if any fines are racked up by the new owner so don’t delay this part of the paperwork.


The new owner will need to be given the car’s handbook, service log and the latest MOT certificate (assuming the car’s more than 3 years old that is). Warranty information and any receipts for work carried out should also be handed to the buyer.

Insurance and tax disc

You’ll have to inform your insurance firm that you no longer own the car, although that shouldn’t generate any paperwork. Your final piece of paperwork will get you some money back so don’t delay sending your tax disc back to the DVLA for a refund. Get in touch with them first through. You’ll find their contact details through gov.uk.

United Kingdom - Excite Network Copyright ©1995 - 2021