Radical Ducati closes up shop and leaves us the BMW R90 Interceptor
For fifteen years Radical Ducati was the Ducati aftermarket supplier of high end performance enhancing components on the Iberian peninsula, but they also built some of the most beautiful and unique Ducati based custom specials in the world.
However the other week, the founders of the company, Pepo Rosell and Reyes Ramon unexpectedly decided to close up their internationally renowned workshop, leaving this farewell message on their Facebook page:
I inform you that RADICAL DUCATI close his workshop and stop his activity. It has been more than 15 years of passion, designing, fabricating, riding and developing my dreams. Now is time to stop and make a change in my life. I want to thanks all of you for your support and for share our passion. The Radical Ducati facebook and blog would work for maintain and share our RAD spirit with all of you."
Before we sadly relegate Radical Ducati into the annals of custom motorcycle builders, we’d like to show you one of the last bikes that they created, which we can sort of consider as their swansong, and strangely enough it’s not even based on a Ducati … but on a BMW.
This high performance machine is called BMW R90 Interceptor and was joint venture project with BMW specialists Max Boxer, and is a tribute to the Joe Bar Team BMW Interceptor Police bike (hence the Gendarmerie reference) from the famous French comic book series.
Instead of the usual V-twin powerplant we have a tuned R100 engine, but there is no doubt that the R90 Interceptor is very much a Radical Ducati hybrid creation.
The Max Boxer tuned R100 engine modification includes a reduced crankcase, with modified cylinder heads and features a BMW R80 ST frame with reinforced tubes and a Monolever swing arm, and much more, as you can see from the enormous list of modifications and parts below that were used to create this fantastic and enthralling bike.
BMW Interceptor R90 Radical Ducati:
- - Modified BMW R80 ST frame with reinforced tubes
- - Monolever swing arm and R100RS Monolever bevel box
- - Paralever modified (17 inches) rear wheel
- - Ducati Monster yokes
- - Ducati Sport Classic fork
- - Tomaselli clip ons
- - Ducati Sport Classic spoked front wheel ( 17 inches)
- - Ducati Monster 900 rotors
- - Ducati Sport Classic Discacciati calipers kit.
- - Ducati Monster 900 brake pump.
- - RAD , foldable and adjustabble cnc machined levers.
- - Tomaselli quick open gas throtle
- - Suzuki GSXR 600 ,clutch lever
- - Carbon Fiber RAD front mudguard
- - Pantahstica front fairing
- - Custom made front bracket
- - Modified Laverda fuel tank
- - Modified carbon fiber RAD 02 Montjuich solo seat
- - Derbi GPR 50 footlevers support
- - Tarrozi foot levers
- - SuperMario 2 in 1 exhaust system
- - BMW S1000RR silencer
- - Dell’Orto PHM 40 carburetors
- - MWR airfilter pods
- - R100 MaxBOXER Powered Engine
- - Crankcase reduced to minumum
- - Upper positioned on frame for more ground clearance,
- - Lightened, blueprinted, adjusted,
- - Head cylinders worked and gas flowed heads with bigger intakes, big valves
- - Head cylinder cover with rapid oil filling hole
- - Hi comp and light pistons,
- - Racing light clutch,
- - Oil pan intermediate crankcase, external oil filter
- - Ducati Paso oil radiator with external hoses
- - Revised and updated gearbox with racing adjustments
- - Electrics : Racing wire, LIPO battery, Silent Hetkit electronic front crankshaft ignition with 16 mappings, electronic regulator