The paperwork to change a car colour explained

If you’re thinking of making a change to the colour of your car, you’ll need to get your paperwork in order before you do. The paperwork to change a car colour isn’t very complicated but you need to make sure you get it right before taking your pride and joy to the body shop for the work.
    getty - Christopher Furlong


The document you need to make changes to if you alter the colour of your car is called the V5C. This form also needs changing when you alter the engine’s capacity, its fuel type or make major modifications to the chassis or bodyshell. The form is pretty self-explanatory so we won’t take up any time explaining how it’s completed but you’ll need to also provide some evidence backing up the changes which is something you might need some guidance on.


When the V5C or logbook is updated and sent into the DVLA you’ll need to include some evidence of the changes. With other changes, like modifications to the car’s engine, you need to provide inspection reports and the like, but that’s not the case when a vehicle’s colour is changed. When a car’s colour is changed all you need to provide is a receipt from the bodyshop who carried out the work.

How to tell the DVLA about the change

A change like this doesn’t affect the car’s tax code so you don’t need to provide as much information as you would if the engine’s capacity had been altered or the amount of seats had been changed. With this sort of change all you have to do is mark any changes on section 7 of your registration certificate and then sign it. Once completed send your registration certificate with any necessary evidence to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA.

United Kingdom - Excite Network Copyright ©1995 - 2022